A sunny day though with a brisk easterly wind.
I began with a seawatch from just below the car park. It was very quiet with barely any gulls let alone skuas.
The bushes were also disappointingly quiet and hard work just to find a Blackcap.
I was on the point of leaving when a large Buddleia caught my eye as it was still in flower so I checked it out. It had a lovely array of butterflies which included four Painted Ladies, three Peacock and a Red Admiral.
Also present on the Buddleia were two Hummingbird Hawkmoths and a Hornet Hoverfly. The moths were incredibly active during the time I was there, and it was challenging to photograph them. In the end I managed to freeze the action of the wings in photos by using the same settings as for birds in flight except increasing the shutter speed to 1/4000.
 |
| Painted Lady |
 |
| Underwing of Painted Lady |
 |
| Peacock |
 |
| Red Admiral |
 |
| Hummingbird Hawkmoth |
 |
| Hornet Hoverfly |
Comments
Post a Comment