Stodmarsh 19/08/26

A pleasant afternoon at Stodmarsh, mostly sunny though with a shower of rain just before I arrived.

By the Reed Bed hide I had a nice view of a male Blackcap from the new screen. Both Little Egret and Great White Egret were seen from the hide itself, plus a fair number of Common Terns, most of them near the raft placed in the lake for breeding, with one closer individual on a post.

From there I made my way to the Marsh hide where a juvenile Purple Heron had recently been reported. I didn't see the heron though enjoyed close views of Green Sandpiper and Common Snipe, six of each species. Approx. eight Cattle Egret were in a nearby field with a herd of animals though mostly obscured by vegetation. A male Marsh Harrier in hunting mode caused some panic amongst Stock Doves and other birds.

I walked back, joining the Lampen Wall to view the main lake. Fortunately, the White-winged Tern flew in at about 4:15, and spent half an hour feeding over the lake, giving reasonably good views.  It was a moulting adult.

Green Sandpipers



Common Snipe 

Little Egret 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elmley 16/09/25

Westbrook & Seasalter 8/11/25

Sandwich/St.Margaret's 30/08/25